Supporting Brazil to host a successful World Cup 2014 and Olympics 2016
In the lead up to the World Cup in 2014 and Olympics in 2016, both hosted in Brazil, the SGSA provided advice and guidance to international federations to support safety and security.
The international federations at the World Cup, Brazil 2014 wanted to deliver safe and enjoyable experiences for spectators.
In May 2012, we hosted a two-day workshop in Rio on safety and security at major events. The event was attended by senior figures from Government and the 12 cities that hosted the World Cup in a series of new and re-developed stadia.
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
- Brazilian State Secretariat for Security at Major Events (SESGE)
- Brazil 2014 Organising Committee
- Rio 2016 Organising Committee
- Brazilian Ministry of Justice
- Police and fire authorities
- UK experts and relevant companies
In February 2013 we followed this up with a further two-day workshop on similar themes including:
- The role of ground management and safety personnel
- Contingency and Emergency Planning
- Crowd Movement
- Integrated safety management
- Planning and staging international events
We also produced a Portuguese translation of one of our key guidance documents, ‘Safety Management’, which Brazilian colleagues used to plan for safe and successful events in 2014 and 2016.