Board Meeting 13 - March 2014
Minutes of the thirteenth meeting of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority held on 11 March 2014 in Fleetbank House.
Mr P Darling -Chairman
Mr B Batson
Dr P Lane – via telephone link
Mr P Rowley
Mr D Wilson
Ms R ShawChief Executive
Mrs N Rutherford
Apologies were received from Mr R Wilkie
1. Minutes of the previous meeting
- The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted and signed by the Chairman.
2. Matters arising
- The DCMS consultation document on motor racing on public roads had been published. The early feedback suggested there was a strong response against additional regulation. The SGSA would be responding in due course and would use the opportunity of the consultation to raise awareness amongst Local Authorities that government had considered us for a role with other sports, and explain the additional services and support we could provide beyond football.
- The Chief Executive had held an introductory meeting with Nick Pontefract, the new Head of Sport at DCMS, and provided a general introduction to our role and the current legal framework. On the subject of the Government policy on the all seater requirement, Mr Pontefract suggested that the government would consider the Football League consultation response when they received it, and would take the views of relevant authorities including the SGSA, but that it was unlikely that any policy change would happen without a rigorous and evidence based review of all the issues. A further meeting was proposed with the Chairman in April.
3. Chief Executive’s reports (SGSA(14)03 & 06)
- The Board discussed the Football League consultation exercise, and asked the Chief Executive to formally request the full consultation response. The Board also discussed the matter of rail seating, and the Chief Executive explained that SGSA Inspector Ken Scott had prepared a technical report on the demonstration area at Ashton Gate which he had recently visited, which could be circulated for information. There were a number of practical and technical considerations that had to be considered, as well as the policy question for Government of whether they would wish us to licence such areas. It was agreed that any discussions or subsequent decisions by Government on the all seater requirement should be informed by rigorous, evidence-based, and wide ranging debate.
- The Executive agreed to update the all seater core brief and circulate it as an aide-memoire.
4. Proposed Budget for 2014/15 (SGSA(14)04)
- Mr Longhorn introduced the proposed budget for 2014/15, for approval by the board in keeping with NAO recommendations. The Board noted the reduction in Grant in Aid and the potential spend allocated to international and other sport activity. The Board then approved the budget for 2014/15.
5. Risk Management Policy
- The Office Manager presented the draft Risk Management policy which the Audit and Risk Committee had seen and approved. The Board noted the document had been adapted from a DCMS template and approved the policy.
- Mr Wilson suggested that we consider translating Safety Management into Arabic and Japanese.
7. Date of the next meeting
- The next meeting would be held on Tuesday 13 May at Fleetbank House. The Board were reminded the change of date for the June meeting, which was currently scheduled for 9th June to coincide with the Audit Committee and enable the timely approval of the Annual Report and Accounts.